The scope of work encompasses the conduct of stability analysis of proposed conceptual landfill closure of existing cell out slopes and cap liner system and proposed expansion cells out slopes, cap and bottom liner systems. Analyses conducted followed generally accepted geotechnical and solid waste engineering practices using both computer aided numerical analyses and hand engineering calculations for the purpose of checking the stability safety factors or design ratios of proposed conceptual layout of old cell closure and new cells expansion.
The following services were provided :
- Review the geotechnical investigations and conclusions and geological surveys carried out at Al-Ekaider site by the USAID consulting team.
- The objectives of these investigations are the characterization of the prevailing geological and geotechnical conditions, the definition of engineering parameters for the design of the proposed facilities and the assessment of current soil pollution.
- Participate in the preliminary design of the dumpsite rehabilitation, the new sanitary landfill, the industrial wastewater ponds rehabilitation (as provided by the USAID consulting team) and the supplementary works, by providing reports verifying the stability of the designs as well as any determination of:
- Maximum side slope for the development of the final surface of the dumpsite and the new sanitary landfill.
- Needs for appropriate stability works (berms, retaining walls, etc.) in the dumpsite and the new sanitary landfill, if any.
- Suggestions of appropriate bottom lining layers for the new sanitary landfill that could add to the stability of the designs.
- Suggestions of appropriate final capping layers for the dumpsite and the new sanitary landfill that could add to the stability of the designs.
- Maximum height of lifts and driving (horizontal) zones between them in the dumpsite and the new sanitary landfill.
- Maximum height level of waste terrain in both the dumpsite and the new sanitary landfill.
- Design/construction recommendations as these will be derived by the sites geological characteristics (in relation to stability of the designs).
- Calculation and justification of stability of the designs of the dumpsite/new sanitary landfill/ponds/other works of the project, as well as any design/construction recommendations as these will be derived by the sites geological characteristics.
- Technical specifications of relevant works (bottom sealing, final capping, daily cover, berms, retaining walls, etc.… (in relation to stability of the designs).
The Stability Analysis Report in fulfillment of above scope was submitted in September 2012.